Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Big trucks

I live on a highway, so the cars buzz by at about 55 mph. Right in front of the house next door, there is left turn off the highway so when people turn they have to stop all the traffic. This causes several wrecks a year.

This year they are widening the adjacent highway, so large gravel trucks are buzzing by my house all the time. Yesterday, as I was mowing lawn, a man slowed to turn across the highway and the SUV following him stopped too. However, the gravel truck driver had to slam on his brakes to avoid hitting the SUV. The brakes squealed and smoke poured from all the tires.

I don't know if the driver glanced at me mowing the lawn, I don't know if the driver was talking on a cell phone. I don't know why he didn't see the brake lights, because I did going the opposite way on a lawn mower. I do know that if the driver had not slammed on his brakes he probably would have killed the SUV driver.

Very scary.

No comments: